Information » Money » Benefits
The government provides financial assistance to some people in the form of benefits.
People who may be entitled to benefits can include people on a low income, people out of work, women having a baby, people with disabilities and people with children.
Previously there were different types of benefits that could be claimed but as of April 2013 the majority of these will be replaced with something called Universal Credit.
This section looks at the different situations where this benefit might be available to you.
Making a new or repeat claim for benefit
- You can ring Jobcentre Plus to make a benefit claim. Phone: 0800 055 6688
- Text phone: 0800 023 4888 if you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech difficulties
- Calls are free from a landline. Charges may apply when calling from a mobile phone, but Jobcentre Plus will arrange to call you back if you ask
- Phone lines are open from 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday
- You can claim online
- When Universal Credit has fully replaced the current benefit system all applications will be made online